Position Summary: Sales Specialist/Buyers procure retail items and coordinate activities involved with purchasing products and supplies focused on departmental needs. Sales Specialists/Buyers research all the latest retail trends and customer needs in order to find possible new product offerings while continuing to make sure that product supply is uninterrupted through inventory control and proper ordering procedures. Sales Specialists/Buyers determine where to buy local to save cost and increase margins. Sales Specialist/Buyers work with several diverse vendors to choose the best product mix, both in-store and online. Buyers negotiate prices and consider the store’s profitability before placing orders. Sales Specialists/Buyers receive and review requisitions requesting goods or services. They review bids, proposals, and negotiate contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
Planning- Overall Strategy and Growth
Essential Job Functions for the Buyers include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Executes category strategy developed by the Store Director.
- Creates annual merchandise assortment plan, and adheres to purchasing budgets.
- Oversees the merchandising and inventory plans for all retail selling locations.
- Analyzes vendor, product, and total category performance. Ensures the highest quality, lowest overall cost, and the highest value for dollars spent. Has accountability to the profits and losses according to purchase decisions, and uses learnings to make future decisions more effectively.
- Interacting with sales staff on a daily basis for product pricing, expediting, and analysis.
- Manages reporting of procurement performance metrics.
Driving- Events and promotions
- Plans and executes promotional plans and strategies, then works with vendors based on cost negotiations, pricing strategy, review of new product and development of exclusives.
- Assists operation during all special events, and uses them as focus groups to collect information for future store needs.
- Focuses on current retail/merchandising trends. Creatively developing new products to keep the store new and fresh while still maintaining the brand image.
- Works independently and completes special sourcing projects for store and departments across.
- Plan and conduct quarterly meetings with department managers assigned to ensure that their needs are being fulfilled for the next quarter to reduce spend across campus and increase buying power and lower costs.
- Review and process client purchase requests in accordance to Hope College.
Executing- Purchasing and Vendor Relations
- Works with and assists Store Director and Warehouse Manager during events regarding proper execution of merchandise plan and vision. Plans and executes promotional campaigns and strategies, sourcing new vendors and products if needed.
- Responsible for ensuring vendor communication and vendor performance adheres to operations requirements.
- Proactively communicates with staff and suppliers regarding agreements, PO’s, ordering, pricing, service level compliance, product availability, policy/guidelines and resolving related purchasing issues.
- Reconciles invoices to purchase orders to ensure correct pricing /quantity. Resolve disputes between the store and vendors regarding service, cost, and delivery, as necessary.
- Ensure accurate completion of quotes, quote summaries, schedules and releases.
- Communicates to Store Director trends within products that may impact pricing, quality or availability.
- Processes and administers purchase orders via the WinPRISM procurement system including price negotiations, managing inquiries, expediting, and status reviews.
Follow up- Continuous Improvement
- Open and close the store as scheduled. Responsible for general maintenance of the sales floor, including customer service, stocking, and driving overall store sales.
- Development of student staff. Encourage, teach and support the student workers and supervisors while modeling and promoting stellar customer service.
- Drive continuous improvement of all processes related to purchasing.
- Additional functions not specifically outlined in this position description as needed for the business and directed by their leader.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail are essential. The preferred candidate will have the ability to manage competing priorities, and posses professional communication skills, both phone and verbal.
- Ability to work with others towards a common goal.
- Excellent customer service and strategic thinking skills.
- Experience in handling accounts receivables and payables preferred
- Will be able to work in a fast paced environment and be proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite products.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and meet all deadlines required.
As part of the online application, candidates will upload a cover letter and resume. In addition, please enter the contact information for three references on the application (including current email addresses). Those references will be contacted by Human Resources upon application to submit a reference form.
Application review will be ongoing until position is filled.