Buyers procure retail items and coordinate activities involved with purchasing products and supplies focused on store needs. Buyers research all the latest retail trends and customer needs in order to find possible new product offerings while continuing to make sure that product supply is uninterrupted through inventory control and proper ordering procedures. Buyers determine where to buy local to save cost and increase margins. Buyers work with several diverse vendors to choose the best product mix, both in-store and online. Buyers negotiate prices and consider the store’s profitability and departmental cost savings before placing orders. Buyers receive and review requisitions requesting goods or services. They review bids, proposals, and negotiate contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
Essential Job Functions for the Buyers include, but are not limited to, the following:
Planning- Overall Strategy and Growth
- Executes category strategy developed by the Store Director.
- Creates annual merchandise assortment plan by quarter, and adheres to purchasing budgets.
- Oversees the merchandising and inventory plans for all retail selling locations. Ensuring that they consider the diverse shoppers’ needs.
- Analyzes vendor, product, and total category performance. Ensures the highest quality, lowest overall cost, and the highest value for dollars spent. Has accountability to the profits and losses according to purchase decisions, and uses learnings to make future decisions more effectively.
- Interacting with sales staff on a daily basis for product pricing, expediting, and analysis.
- Manages reporting of procurement performance metrics.
- Works directly with departments to coordinate and provide supplies needed. Then sources to get best possible pricing to reduce overall spend on campus.
Driving- Events and promotions
- Plans and executes promotional plans and strategies, then works with vendors based on cost negotiations, pricing strategy, review of new product and development of exclusives.
- Assists operation during all special events, and uses them as diverse focus groups to collect information for future store needs.
- Focuses on current retail/merchandising trends. Creatively developing new products to keep the store new and fresh while still maintaining the brand image.
- Works independently and completes special sourcing projects for department events.
- Meets with and proactively plans with departments to ensure proper timing for needed items.
- Review and process client purchase requests in accordance with Hope College.
Executing- Purchasing and Vendor Relations
- Works with and assists Store Director, Assistant Store Director, and Inventory Control Manager during events regarding proper execution of merchandise plan and vision. Plans and executes promotional campaigns and strategies, sourcing new vendors and products if needed.
- Responsible for ensuring vendor communication and vendor performance adheres to operations requirements.
- Proactively communicates with staff and suppliers regarding agreements, PO’s, ordering, pricing, service level compliance, product availability, policy/guidelines and resolving related purchasing issues. Reconciles invoices to purchase orders to ensure correct pricing/quantity. Resolve disputes between the store and vendors regarding service, cost, and delivery, as necessary.
- Ensure accurate completion of quotes, quote summaries, schedules and releases.
- Communicates to Store Director trends within products that may impact pricing, quality or availability.
- Processes and administers purchase orders via the procurement system including price negotiations, managing inquiries, expediting, and status reviews.
Follow up- Continuous Improvement
- Open and close the store as scheduled. Responsible for general maintenance of the sales floor, including customer service, stocking, and driving overall store sales with the objective of increasing revenue.
- Development of student staff. Encourage, teach and support the student workers and supervisors while modeling and promoting stellar customer service and work ethic.
- Drive continuous improvement of all processes related to purchasing.
- Focused on diversity and inclusion, and how we can cultivate an environment of belonging for all of our staff and shoppers.
- Additional functions not specifically outlined in this position description as needed for the business and directed by their leader.
This position requires remaining in a sitting or standing position for frequent periods of time; uses office machinery such as a computers, printers, copy machines; Occasionally involves moving items over 10 pounds; frequently will move between different offices/workspaces/buildings; and requires effective communication abilities. In the case of temporary or permanent condition(s) that require(s) accommodation(s), reasonable accommodation(s) may be requested.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check. Some positions may have position specific requirements, such as education/licensure/certification verification, a physical, drug screening, credit checks and/or transportation record review.