Reports to: Registrar
Responsible for supporting the digitization of the Holland Museum archives and collection, including the preparation of object documentation and photographs and the transfer of all collection data into an online database.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assist in on-going collections database development and management, including creating and managing object records, drafting object descriptions, uploading object photographs and scans, recording storage locations, cataloging, unifying lexicon, accessioning, and inventory. Intern will pick a category from a selection of topics (i.e., Holland Chorale, stamps, models) not yet featured on our public database.
- Assist in processing and documenting accessions, loans, and deaccessions in accordance with museum best practice. Learn how to handle and digitize artifacts and archival materials.
- In collaboration with Registrar, resolve issues with the Collective Access online web interface and works with IT contractors and product support as needed.
- Perform historic research as needed, using sources from archival documents, Internet databases, etc.
- Create back-up files for system data as necessary.
- Greet and interact with museum visitors in an open, friendly manner.
- Perform a variety of other administrative and clerical functions in support of the department’s mission including: assisting with correspondence; performing data entry; preparing materials for research and reproduction requests, etc.
- Act as part of a Summer Intern Council that will tackle issues of cultural importance for the community that the Museum serves. The Council will be guided by the Museum staff to complete a project that will develop leadership and communication skills. Responsibilities include:
- Look for opportunities to address issues that require cross functional skills, creative problem solving, relationship building, and an understanding of the greater organizational strategy of the Museum.
- Meet with other interns over the course of the summer to develop sub teams and plans to address the project(s) they have chosen.
- Commit to roughly 5 hours of work for the Council per week.
- Sub teams will report back to the museum staff to present results of project(s) at the
- end of the summer.
- Other duties as requested or assigned.
Education and Experience
BA/BS in museum studies, public history, information science/archives, history, or a closely related field required. MA/MS preferred. Demonstrated experience handling artifacts, working with historic collections in a museum setting, creating artifacts records in a computer database, and performing historic research. One to three years’ experience working in customer service preferred.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently and prioritize tasks.
- Reliable, with the ability to follow tasks through to completion and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and display excellent professional judgment in a collaborative environment.
- Knowledge of and commitment to museum best practices as established by the American Alliance of Museums, including best practices for collection stewardship and digital preservation.
- Must have exceptional customer service skills, with the ability to work with a diverse public and a diverse workforce.
- Ability to perform physical tasks (lift 30 lbs.) with physical mobility and ability to climb stairs.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency, including an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- Demonstrated understanding of image capture equipment, including cameras, lighting, and digital scanners.
- Ability to pass a background check.
15-20 hours per week. Flexible dependent upon the requirements of the college/university.
A $800 stipend will be paid upon successful completion of the internship. Housing is not included as part of this internship.
Submit cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three professional references to Michelle Stempien, Education and Community Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.