Customer Relationship Specialist - Part Time
The Zeeland Board of Public Works (ZBPW) is a municipally owned water and electric utility serving the City of Zeeland and its surrounding community.
The Board of Public Works is a semi-autonomous five-member commission approved by City Council to serve staggered five-year terms. The Board is responsible to City Council, and Zeeland citizens, for the prudent operation of the City’s water and electric utilities.
Certain employees and facilities are shared operationally between the two utilities and with other departments of the City of Zeeland. All utility costs are segregated (joint expenses are shared proportionally) and financed solely through the revenues generated by their respective utility sales. Financing for large capital assets have been generally obtained through issuing tax-exempt municipal revenue bonds.
Vision: To provide innovative utility solutions and technology that meets customer expectations and sustains growth while enhancing the quality of life for the Zeeland area. Mission: To deliver superior electric and water utility services that are reliable, safe, environmentally responsible and cost competitive. Values: Integrity, Service, Relationships, Operational Excellence, Respect, Innovation, Stewardship, Family-Oriented
Under the general supervision of the Accounting and Finance Manager
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Serves as the first point of contact for customers who visit or phone the department; greets customers and assists both commercial and residential customers with billing or service questions.
- Balances cash drawer and accounts receivable on a daily basis. Scans checks and prepares receipts for deposit. Submits and balances deposits though the online remote deposit system. Processes credit card and ACH payments.
- Responds to public inquiries/complaints regarding departmental services, projects, and procedures. Answers trouble calls, dispatches field personnel, and enters incidents in the OMS system.
- Performs general clerical and secretarial functions. Maintains filing system, sorts and distributes mail, types correspondence and invoices, and assists the electric and water departments with information retrieval. Assists title office with inquiries regarding outstanding utility charges and assessments.
- Receives and directs calls for Miss Dig; enter staking information on Miss Dig website. Maintains calls in the Positive Response System.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a work team.
- Prepares reports, correspondence and a variety of written materials; prepares and maintains accurate records and documentation of activities.
- Uses standard office equipment, including a computer, in the course of the work
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
- High school diploma, supplemented by courses in business and word processing.
- One year of experience in clerical administrative, bookkeeping or related work.
- Good knowledge of office administration principles and practices.
- Knowledge of computerized record keeping, word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Knowledge of basic financial record keeping and account reconciliation.
- Skill in the preparation of reports, the maintenance of records, and providing administrative support.
- Skill in answering inquiries from the public and other employees regarding department operations and other related issues.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with the public, other employees, governmental agencies, City officials, and contract suppliers.
- Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas orally and in writing.
- Ability to work effectively under stress and changes in work priorities.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Producing consistently accurate work
- Using tact, discretion and prudence in dealing with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence and other written materials.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds
Physical Demands and the Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and use repetitive motions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in a business office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Zeeland Board of Public Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEOC).
Anticipated Work Schedule – Flexible days, 10 AM to 2 PM. Vacation coverage as applicable.
Pay Range: $20.40 per hour to $26.52 per hour
Interested candidates should submit their resume in pdf format, along with cover letter to
City of Zeeland, Attn: City Clerk, 21 South Elm Street, Zeeland MI 49464 or by email to email@example.com