Library - User Services Associate
Library - User Services Associate
The Hope College Van Wylen Library seeks a part-time member of the library Access Services Team. A successful applicant will enjoy working with college age students to support library circulation, shelving and equipment check-out. This position collaborates with the User Services Coordinator for general training and supervision of student workers and is responsible for supervising stacks maintenance and reserves and the maintenance of equipment. This position reports to the User Services Coordinator. (20 hours per week, primarily weekdays, somewhat flexible schedule)
Supervises stacks maintenance and reserves. This position collaborates with the User Services Coordinator for general training and supervision of student workers and is responsible for the maintenance of equipment. This position reports to the User Services Coordinator. (20 hours per week, primarily weekdays, somewhat flexible schedule)
Major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Stacks Maintenance
- Coordinate timely reshelving of books, periodicals, microforms, and other library materials
- Maintain a regular schedule of shelf reading (to include straightening and dusting)
- Follow systematic search procedures for missing items
- Identify damaged materials in the collection and initiate the process of mending/replacing/discarding
- Reshelves Featured Collections and rare books
- Maintain library and offsite storage areas
- Oversees the library reserves operation - works closely with faculty to process reserves in a timely manner
- Oversees the maintenance of library circulating equipment including laptops, iPads, cameras, etc.
- Works closely with the User Services Coordinator to hire, train and supervise approximately 25 students who work circulation desk, reserve desk, and stacks management
- Maintains cash register, petty cash and prepares weekly deposits and prepares for annual audits with Business Services
- Monitors and responds to circulation emails
- Coordinates patron counts and oversees SUMA statistics
- Participates on library teams and works closely with staff in other departments
- Participates in appropriate professional development opportunities
- College degree (AA minimum) or equivalent experience required.
- Detail-oriented with proven analytical skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to read spine labels, move book carts, bend, stoop, lift and carry library materials
- Familiarity with a variety of software applications and platforms (OS, Microsoft and Google) with aptitude to manage the updating and maintenance of equipment.
- Ability to understand diverse perspectives and acknowledge the significance of differences and complexities in background, cultures, values and viewpoints as the foundation for an inclusive environment
- Experience working in a library
- Supervisory experience or experience working with college-age students
- Experience with spreadsheets
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of library circulation functions and call number systems
As part of the online application, candidates will upload a cover letter and resume. In addition, please enter the contact information for three references on the application (including current email addresses). Those references will be contacted by Human Resources upon application to submit a reference form.