This is routine manual labor associated with the daily cleaning of buildings. Employees in this job classification are not under close supervision but receive instructions and direction from their lead custodian and perform various duties requiring moderate physical strength. This position requires flexible working hours to be adjusted by the supervisor to meet seasonal and special college requirements. It could involve Saturday and Sunday weekend work.Qualifications
Typical routine duties include but are not restricted to: dusting, mopping, sweeping, wet mopping, vacuuming, waxing, cleaning restrooms, removing trash, polishing furniture, and simple operation of basic mechanical equipment.
Examples of routine work: Police public areas, vacuum clean rugs and carpets scrub and clean restrooms and all fixtures, keep restrooms supplied with towels, soap, and toilet paper, dust and clean walls, doors, windows, woodwork, and others above surface, polish furniture, clean elevators and stairwells, police and sweep all outside stairs and steps, notify supervisor of equipment and facilities needing repair or replacement, replace accessible lights, perform related work as required and instructed, help in the distribution of linen and the making of beds. (seasonal)
Characteristic non-routine work: Stripping and refinishing floors, spray buffing floor with machine, window cleaning, walls, vents and radiator cleaning, waste receptacle cleaning, snow removal in related areas, carpet cleaning, set up rooms for conferences, lectures, and special events, move furniture.
- High school graduate with 3 years experience in trade preferably in a maintenance environment.
- Must pass a background check and physical examination and possess no physical limitations that would inhibit work performance.
- Ability to follow written and oral instruction.
- Ability to follow routine and basic cleaning and building maintenance procedures.
- Ability to work with others and carry out assigned tasks.
- Ability to adjust to changes in assigned tasks.
Candidates may apply for this position in one of the following ways:
1. Complete the online application by clicking on the "Apply" link above and following the onscreen instructions.
2. Come to the Human Resources Department to fill out a paper form. The office is located at 100 East 8th Street, Suite 210 (next to the Knickerbocker Theater in downtown Holland).
Click here to learn more and apply!