President Job Posting
United Way of Ottawa and Allegan Counties is seeking a new President to lead the organization into its next stage of growth. United Way supports, develops, and implements a range of impact solutions throughout both counties to address its four primary focus areas of education, health, financial stability, and basic needs. Last year, nearly 110,000 people were positively impacted by our funded programs and partnerships. Beyond working with our partner agencies to address ALICE defined needs (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed), our organization is extremely active collaborating with Foundations, non-profits, and local government to address affordable housing and other community wide issues. We provide a wide range of volunteer activities to engage individuals and businesses in being part of the solution.
United Way of Ottawa and Allegan Counties is a 501c3 nonprofit organization with a mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of community to advance the common good. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, one of the most recognized charitable brands, we envision a community where all individuals achieve their full potential. Using a research-based approach, we support, develop, and implement a range of solutions to improve lives and create stronger communities.
We are looking for an individual to provide leadership to a strong staff, board, and existing partners. The primary expectation of this will be to work with major donors and corporations to increase organization resources to have even greater impact in the community. Working with the Development team, they will manage existing relationships while also developing new partnerships and revenue opportunities. The President will be expected to represent the United Way in the community through engagement with local governments, Foundations, and non-profit agencies. Collaborating with the organization’s operational leaders and the Board of Directors, the new president will need to develop and execute a strategic vision for the organization.
Our next President is responsible for leading operations towards fulfilling our Mission. This will include:
Business and Revenue Development
- Cultivate new and existing relationships with major donor groups.
- Provide support to annual corporate campaigns, analyze the results, and seek to enhance future outcomes.
- Identify and develop new partnerships and potential revenue streams.
- Assume role of “the face” of United Way donor meetings, media events, Chamber events, etc.
- Chair or play key role in committees/task forces that deal with significant community issues.
- Identify community needs and emerging trends; develop solutions in collaboration with other community partners.
- Participate & advocate on the state and national level in health and human service activities that affect the community.
- Collaborate with the organization’s operational leaders and the Board of Directors to develop and execute a strategic vision for the organization.
- Create an atmosphere that fosters the development of strong, effective teams and empowers staff through involvement and participation in decision-making.
- Work with the Board to develop and execute short and long-range planning; Support the recruitment and development of a board of directors that is representative of our community.
- Maintain stewardship and accountability for financial and capital resources (including management of property), official records, operating budgets, and campaign collection and disbursement.
General office environment. Long periods of time standing or sitting depending on schedule. Local travel between neighboring communities required. Extended travel possible for meetings or conferences possible. Ability to lift and carry 20 lbs. necessary.
Experience, Education, and Training Requirements
A thorough and solid knowledge of non-profit organizations is important. At least 7 to 10 years of experience as a senior manager in an executive position, with experience managing a professional staff is required. Excellent communication skills are necessary and as well as a demonstrated ability to communicate using verbal or written skills with various levels of stakeholders. Experience working within a team environment and using teamwork to achieve goals. A demonstrated history of empathy and collaboration is expected. A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred. Candidate will be expected to live locally and work on site 5 days/week.
Competitive salary and benefits provided. Salary range: $115,000 - $125,000. Benefits include health, life, dental, short-term disability, 403b contribution of 5%, and PTO.
United Way is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer that values the diversity of its workforce.
Interested candidates should email their resume and cover letter outlining why they are interested in this position to UnitedWayPresidentSearch@gmail.com
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.