President and CEO
Evergreen Commons is a community-benefit organization that has re-imagined what it means for older adults to live fully, independently, and vibrantly. Established in 1985 as a non-profit 501c3 with an exclusive focus on the well-being of older adults, we serve Holland, Michigan and surrounding communities with our day facilities. We are unique in the nation in the scope and scale of offering excellence in programs and services within our nearly 80,000 sq. ft. of facilities and are currently serving nearly 4,500 older adults.
Our mission is to inspire older adults to live purposeful, active, and holistic lives, in their residence of choice, as fully as they are able. This mission also includes providing community support services and assisted care to older adults, with honor and respect.
The design to achieve our mission is by providing places, platforms, programs, services, and opportunities for older adults, regardless of income, to live as fully as they are able. We encourage a purposeful, active lifestyle in all the key dimensions: Social, Physical, Vocational, Financial, Environmental, Intellectual, Emotional, and Spiritual.
Evergreen Commons has two primary locations:
Th The The Wellness Place at 480 State Street, provides platforms and opportunities for adults, ages 55 +, to participate in living life to the fullest by encouraging a healthy lifestyle in all its dimensions: spiritual, social, intellectual, emotional, vocational, financial, environmental, and physical. Our 70,000 +sq. ft. building offers a fully equipped fitness and pool area, wood-working shop, enrichment activities, educational and technology classes, meal services, and fine arts programs.
The Day Center of Evergreen Commons at 55 W.16th Street, provides the services and programs that help older adults live longer at home. It features a safe and caring environment for adults who need assistance during the day. While their caregivers receive much needed respite, participants benefit from socialization, person-centered programming, and health monitoring.
From the very beginning and is still true today, the key motivating factor for Evergreen Commons is based on historic Judeo/Christian values to follow God’s call to honor, respect, and serve older adults in their later years of life.
Our core values:
- We show respect and honor for all people.
- We bring integrity, innovation, and excellence into our conduct and work.
- We exercise wise stewardship with our resources, talent, and time.
It is our vision to be a community leader in advocating for and enhancing the well-being of older adults.
The expectations of the older adult population in the United States are changing dramatically with a primary focus now on enhancing one’s well-being in their later years of life. Along with this ambition, there is also a significant increase in the total population of 65 + in our community. Evergreen Commons is well-positioned to meet these challenges creatively and innovatively.
The President/CEO will provide visionary and servant leadership to Evergreen Commons by maximizing its stated mission and vision. Working closely with the Board of Directors, this individual will have overall strategic and operational responsibilities for the team who work beside the 4,000+ members to develop programs, services, and implementation of the mission.
1. Institute leadership throughout the organization focusing on creativity, service excellence, open communication, and personal responsibility.
2. Be able to adapt and modify expectations, within reason, as unique circumstances and challenges come before the organization working in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
3. Attract, develop, and retain team members and older adult members by providing a collaborative vision and direction for the organization.
4. Engage with members to craft the vision for future benefits and member services focusing on the mechanisms and framework to meet their desires and needs. Capture the gifts and talents of members encouraging continued contribution to our community.
5. Engage with members building personal relationships.
6. Identify, develop, and nurture relationships with major prospective donors, current supporters, and community leaders.
7. Ensure, along with the Board of Directors, all Evergreen activities are true to its core historic Judeo-Christian values and principles.
8. Create an environment of volunteerism within Evergreen on an individual and committee level.
9. Partner with the Board of Directors on the mission and direction for the organization and collaborate on the strategic plan.
a. Validate programmatic excellence, program evaluation, consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and operating systems.
b. Possess strong financial management skills focusing on accuracy, analysis and data driven decision making.
c. Establish the annual budget and provide leadership and direction to achieve the necessary results.
d. Ensure resources, programs, services, team members, and volunteers are aligned and congruent with mission and vision
10. Practice sound stewardship of available resources.
Top candidates will possess most or all of the following:
1. Demonstrated performance in organizational management with the ability to coach team members, inspire “ownership” and collaboration with older adult members, set and achieve strategic objectives.
2. Possess an entrepreneurial spirit with focus on innovation.
3. Have a strong Christian faith.
4. Track record of developing and growing a wide network of strong relationships in the community. Effective use of strong relational skills to f foster their ongoing involvement as well as the whole donor network.
5. Ideal candidate will have integrity, a strong positive attitude, be mission-driven, and self-directed.
6. Excellent interpersonal, writing, listening, and organizational skills are required.
7. Bachelor’s degree and evidence of ongoing professional development.
8. Minimum of 7 years of leadership experience in directing and managing an organization along with the ability to oversee several locations and numerous direct reports.
9. Possess a strong understanding of finance, financial controls, budget setting, and management of budget to actual performance.
10. Ideally possess a knowledge of the West Michigan culture and community.
11. Sound technology skills and adaptability.
Evergreen Commons offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a benefit package which includes Life, Dental, Long-term Disability, 403.b with 5% max match, and Paid Time Off (PTO).
Evergreen Commons is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEOC)
Interested candidates should submit their resume in pdf format, along with cover letter indicating why they are interested in this position to: evergreenCEOsearch@gmail.com